We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

~ Walt Disney


28 May 2011

Finds In Hong Kong

Took a short trip to Hong Kong two weeks ago to visit my sister and to have a little break from work. Did loads of errands for family but didn't forget to catch up with Lynn Poling, one of our very own tatters who's assisting as admin to the InTatters forum. Met her there for the first time about four years ago when I visited and we had a lovely chat over coffee. Did the same thing again this time (but oh dear, we didn't even take a picture!). When Lynn heard that I was going over, she offered to take me to check out a thread that she found in a tiny shop in Mong Kok, Kowloon. She's such a darling.

Each of these cost HK$110 (~US$13.40).
The brand's Kimono and it seems to have been made in Korea (that's what it says on the blue thread label) but the variegated black says it's made in India (on the back of the label). Strange, but it could be true because I tatted with both these threads and they feel totally different. The blue feels sturdier whilst the variegated black feels softer. Will show you the products in the next post.

Then I asked Lynn to take me to Yu Chao Kai in Sum Shui Bo, one subway station down from Mong Kok station. There's a street that supposedly has all the bead shops. We walked into five, I think, and browsed, mostly. Of course we would have loved to bring home the shops but we said we only wanted to look-see, and we kept our promise. LOL I didn't come home empty handed though.

Some charms and earring "filigree" parts...
Lynn and I parted with a hug and exchanged a little something. I gave her the Fandango bookmark and she gave me this cross tatted in Lisbeth thread. It was a fabulous meeting and we had fun.

2 comments:

  1. I am envious of your expedition.

    When I began tatting two and a half years ago, I knew no one anywhere that tatted and I was learning by using the Internet. Then I discovered eTatters, which of course is now InTatters and Lynn.

    Lynn is an amazing individual. She spent much time explaining so much to me, praising my novice efforts and providing me with abundant encouragement. She really held my hand through so many of the beginners' hurdles to this wonderful art of lace-making.

    I do not think I would have advanced so fast or so far had it not been for her constant interest in my progress.

    One day, I would love to meet her and thank her for so much in person!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to meet another tatter, I'm so lucky having a sister that is the Queen of tatting!!! It brought back memories when you talked about Hong Kong as I spent over 2 yrs living there in Kowloon. My son from Singapore is visiting in just over a weeks time, so great excitement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Do leave a comment as I'd love to hear from you.